Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:18:20 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Todd C. Miller": sendmail changes in OpenBSD 2.4

In message <21235.911167834@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard"
writes:
> Hmmm.  This sounds like a rather large user hit to take, but one less
> suid root executable (and an end to the other problems described
> below) also has strong appeal.  Comments?

I like it.

On a tangent, I've implemented a non-suid sendmail on a testbed about a
year ago.  It required that sendmail queue only, that sendmail process
the queue from cron, and Obtuse Systems smtpd handle port 25.  Programs
run via .forward, e.g. MH's slocal, initially broke.  Maybe this should
be investigated further and possibly implemented.  (Yes I am aware of
Qmail, one of my subordinates uses it on machines he manages.  That
solution has its problems too.)

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC