Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:25:36 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Brian" <bri@sonicboom.org>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail upgrade

From: "Brian" <bri@sonicboom.org>
> I have FreeBSD 4.3 release, which came with Sendmail 8.11.3.  I decided to
> upgrade to 8.11.6, which was in the ports tree.  Well it appears that the
> previous version was in /usr/sbin, and was a link to
/usr/sbin/mailwrapper.
> The new version is in /usr/local/sbin.  I changed the perms from 555 to
444
> on the old one, but have an issue.  Looking at the rc.conf files, there is
> no arg for sendmail location, only whether you want it and the flags to
pass
> to it.  /etc/rc seems to contain a complete path, but the notes in there
say
> I probably shouldn't edit it, and if I need to, I should let somebody
know.

As the name suggests, mailwrapper is a program that reads the mailer.conf
file so that alternative mail servers (postfix, qmail, exim, or sendmail)
can be installed on FreeBSD.

FreeBSD's real sendmail program is actually located at
/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail.

You need to change the perms back to 555.  Read the man page on mailwrapper,
as it explains its purpose and why you had to change only mailer.conf

> That is what I am doing.  It would be nice for more info to be given at
the
> end of the install.  I also edited /etc/mail/mailer.conf per the notes at
> the end.

This is all you needed to change to have FreeBSD use the sendmail port
(8.11.6) , instead of the base systems sendmail (8.11.3).

Scot