Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:34:33 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@brizzie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: null modem wiring

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:30:11PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> Would someone please direct me to a simple english explanation
> (ideally with a diagram rather than the obligatory martian text) of
> the "pin to pin" wiring for null modem cable to work between two
> FreeBSD 4.3 machines
>
> I've tried the example provided in the handbook but its wording is quite
> confusing & other websites have various different configurations (none
> of which work properly)

I use the Null modem pinouts from "The C Programmers Guide to Serial
Communications", J. Campbell. It's an old book so it will be tough to find
but if you have to play with RS232C serial it's a great reference. These
cables have worked great for me in all types of serial applications. Sun,
RS/6000, PC etc. I used to use one of these cables to do ftp installs of
FreeBSD 2.0.5 over slip to a laptop which did not have PCMCIA or a CD-ROM
drive. I was able to run the install at 115.2 kbaud with no problems.

--
Chris Hilton                                 chilton-at-vindaloo-dot-com