Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:54:26 -0700
From:      "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

I think a medium between maintaining support for legacy hardware, and
developing support for the latest and greatest would be beneficial, to
everyone, whom intends to use this system.

I certainly agree, more effort should be applied toward writing code and
support for the new devices out there, but at the same time, I think a
strong commitment to maintaining legacy code for older devices, especially
when such devices had code in the system before wouldn't be very difficult.

As far as what I choose to run my server on, the choice isn't exactly much
of a choice.  I have what I have, I can't afford to go out a purchase a
nicer system, or sacrifice my workstation to the task of being a server.
It's not a matter of choice, its a matter of.. this is what I have available
to me, for my server.  What will run on it, most efficiently, most reliably
is what I intend to use.  FreeBSD, one of the most excellent options out
there, has failed in this respect.  It's just.. sad.. I miss having it.  But
I don't miss the troubles of coaxing it to work with this machine.

For what it's worth, my Debian box supports what I have well enough, but the
kernel has no where near the extensive device support that FreeBSD does.
But there's, admittedly, some very nice things in here, that differ from
FreeBSD, which I like, and a lot I don't like.  But, as I've said, I want a
reliable box.  It's a tool, not a toy.  I need it to work, all the time.  I
guess this is just all a big pain because that hardware I've managed to
acquire isn't the best stuff around, its all I have, and the support for it
isn't there.  It's basically my own problem for not having better hardware.

If I had the resources to go out and get a better system to run my server,
with FreeBSD, I'd do it.  Immediately.

Lawrence Cotnam Jr.
(775) 337-2536