Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:46:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob Mallory <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ncr[01] conflicts..?

> } Subject: Re: ncr[01] conflicts..?
>
> } the only thing to 'play' with at this point is the "2nd" jumper
> } and the IRQ's in the asus pci bios setup.
>
> Well, I'd like to know, what this "2nd" jumper does ...

after looking more closely8-), I found it has  "1'st *and* 2'nd"
positions. With the 810 in the top slot (next to the ram) (slot1)
and the 825 (now romless) in slot2, the motherboard bios is used,
and the 810 is probed and booted. If I flip the jumper to "1'st"
it will boot using the motherboard ncr bios, and probe the 825
card, boot from it, and dos,and freebsd both cant see the 810
because of the errors described below.

> Well, you could of course change the order in the PCI
> code ...
>
> See line 376 of /sys/pci/pci.c:
>
> 	for (device=0; device<pci_maxdevice; device ++) {
>
> Change this into
>
> 	for (device=pci_maxdevice -1; device>=0; device--) {
>
> And the bus is scanned from hich to low slot numbers ...

I tried this, it scanned them in reverse order! but it seemed to
hang after it found all cards, and _before_ it found the triton bridges.
hmmm..I'll get more details this weekend.

> Ok. As I wrote in my other message, you'll most probably get
> your system to work with the NCR_IOMAPPED option.

...will check this weekend.

> Or you could reverse the probe order, and make the system
> find the 810 at the higher slot first ...

is it possible to scan the bridges first, and then
reverse-scan the rest of the pci bus? would this fix my
"hang" just after reverse-scanning the bus?
...its been a few days, maybe I am missing something.
I have been busy getting ready for a new job and relocation
to San Diego in the near future...not much time to hack freebsd.

> I think either way will make your system use both controllers
> and is a valid work around ...
>

> The 0cff00 mapping is the real culprit, and you really should
> find a way to get rid of it (by upgrading the system's PCI BIOS).
I will be going from 111 to 113 this weekend.. dunno what is new
in 113.

Thanks,
   Rob Mallory [mallorrp@sce.com]  --->soon rob@qualcomm.com ;)