Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:05:48 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: password echo with remote sudo

In the last episode (Mar 20), aunty said:

> We're trying to use a script which runs a sudo command on a remote
> linux box via ssh, and the sudo password keeps echoing to the screen
> even though the ssh password does not.

Add a -t to the ssh commandline.  When ssh is run with a command
argument, it does not allocate a pty on the remote end (on the
assumption that you're running this from a cron script and don't want
to waste a pty).  No pty means no echoing; in fact, your local terminal
is echoing your characters at this point.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com