Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 12:05:57 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, tlambert@primenet.com, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May 17th UP machine 'panic'

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> (moved to fs@freebsd.org)
>
> On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 05:36:36PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> [... on vput...]
> > It is a very good idea to explicitly pass down curproc.  I am still working
> > on SMP issues, and I believe that it will be a good investment.
>
> OK, let us just for the sake of argument say that I've got a rough
> patch (3 hours of work) and have put it on
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/vput-proc.patch
>
> Where would I go from here?  How do I test this without burning my
> filesystems?  Have anybody got any testsuites they believe to be
> relevant?

I wish we had more testsuites, I've been using make world, testvn, and
lmbench.  I wrote testvn to track reference counting.  See ~mch.

You probably won't burn your filesystems, you might get panics.

You should review and test as much as you can on your own and demonstrate
some stability before you release it for broader testing.

> Oh, and can somebody tell me if cnp->cn_proc is generally usable as a
> 'relevant process pointer', or if I should keep it to areas where it
> is already used (as I did in the rough patch)?

You will often see ...

	struct proc *p = cnp->cn_proc;

... if the argument is used frequently in the function.  It's usually
relevant, but being consistent is probably fine.

I won't have time to review it for a while.  I need to finish vop_rename,
which is a doozy, and things have gotten busy at work.

Regards,

Mike