Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:24:33 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Chris McCluskey <chris@digitaldeck.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN Solutions for Win 2K/XP -> FreeBSD (Possible FAQ entry)

--Wt10+cXOThorkX0z

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:02:29PM -0700, Chris McCluskey wrote:
> Where is the FBSD security mailing list FAQ?
>=20
> If this question is in the FAQ please excuse the repeat, if it's not then
> perhaps it couple be added:
>=20
> I'm looking for a solution to allow a  Win 2K/XP client to tunnel though a
> FreeBSD box to a LAN, meeting the following requirements:
>=20
> 1. The VPN server (a FreeBSD machine) is running NAT so the VPN solution
> must be compatible.
>=20
> 2. I would like to use the stock MS VPN connection tools (PPTP/L2TP) to k=
eep
> things simple for the MS end users.
>=20
> 3. If possible I would like to keep the certificate management down to a
> minimum -- possibly using local user level authentication in preference t=
o a
> preshared CA cert.
>=20
> Does anyone have any experience and good stories in this area? I have loo=
ked
> at a variety of solutions on the Internet, but all that I have found eith=
er
> requires manual adjustment of security policy
> (http://www.wiretapped.net/~fyre/ipsec/) -- which I'm not sure if my MS e=
nd
> users could do without incident) or others involving complications with N=
AT
> (http://www.sigsegv.cx/FreeBSD-WIN2K-IPSEC-HOWTO.html). Any pointers to t=
he
> "cleanest path" would be appreciated.

A very similar question was asked in this list yesterday; the answer, if
you really do not mind using Win2K's PPTP implementation with the
recently discovered DoS attacks, may well be the same: ports/net/mpd.
Build Netgraph into the kernel or load it as a KLD, then run mpd in
server mode as shown in the sample config files, click your way through
setting up a new VPN/PPTP connection on the Win2K box, and you're on.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.

--Wt10+cXOThorkX0z

--Wt10+cXOThorkX0z--