Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:42:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hysterical names (was: names of globale variables)

[following up to -chat]

On Monday,  3 May 1999 at 18:43:09 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>> Isn't the choice of the variables names below a bit odd? It crashed my
>> machine three times because of a typo (buf instead of buffer) in the
>> USB Communications Class Driver.
>>
>> Wouldn't some more elaborate names be more appropriate to avoid these
>> problems?
>
> "struct buf" is actually a very longstanding BSD tradition.  I don't
> think we would easily be able to rename it, no.

It goes back further than BSD.  Here's the definition from a pre-BSD
/usr/src/buf.h, probably some of the oldest C code in existence:

  -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel      592 Jan 22  1973 buf.h

struct buf {
	int	b_flags;
	struct	buf *b_forw;
	struct	buf *b_back;
	struct	buf *av_forw;
	struct	buf *av_back;
	int	b_dev;
	int	b_wcount;
	char	*b_addr;
	char	*b_blkno;
} buf[NBUF];

This is the Third Edition of AT&T UNIX (and no, it doesn't have a
copyright notice :-).

Greg