Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:41:55 +0200
From:      "Thomas A. Halter" <webmaster@gp-flash.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Initial/Install Questions

  Hello,

  I have a notebook with a small drive (540Mb) and I wanted to partition it to install freeBSD on a 100 to 200 Mb partition, so I downloaded the boot disk image, rawrite and all the text files and read through them.  I also read through the installation guide (both the text file and the html file) and I have the following questions (in order of precidence :-)  ):

1.  Is there a utility out there, other than Win95's defrag that will move some the files at the end of my drive that Win95's defrag will not?  I have no idea what they are, but defrag will not move them, and unlike the Norton speedisk of old, I can not select which files are moveable and which are not.  Now, I have done this for my box at home and used the same disk partitioning utility, but I didn't have this problem because I was going to a 2nd drive which I partitioned, but which was empty at the time (that was a linux install).

2.  How much space do I need to run x-windows?  The FAQ mentions 8Mb of RAM, and mentions that a minimum install requires about 80 megs, but it says nothing about the full install and x-windows.

3.  Now to get technical:  I have read that FreeBSD can be used as a router.  (Broad statement I know.)  Can it route a small network to the internet over a PPP connection?  This is my eventual goal to use this machine for, so I guess although more technical than the others, it seems fitting to be asking now.

I'd appreciate any answers I receive.

Thank You
Thomas A. Halter
GP_Flash Web Services