Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 00:03:28 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PS/2 Mouse

    After using Linux for the past three years, I thought it was time to
delve into the realm of FreeBSD.  I recently ordered and recevied the
four CD copy of FreeBSD 2.2.8 from cdrom.com.  The installation went
smoothly except for one slight hitch: it absolutely refuses to see my
ps/2 mouse port.  During the boot process (from the CDROM and, later,
from the generic kernel that was installed) I thought a saw it say: psm0
device not found at 0x60.  I confirmed this in /var/log/messages.

    First thing after installing I recompiled the kernel, primarily so
I could use sound and mount my linux partition, but I also checked to
make sure that the necessary line for the psm0 device was listed.  It
was, but the same error still showed up when booting.  Also, /dev/psm0
does exist, however I did eventually run MAKEDEV to see if that would
fix the problem.  Nope.

   I know that my ps/2 port works fine since I can use the mouse under
Linux and Windows (both of which I have installed on the same machine as
the fbsd).

    Any help would be appreciated.  BTW, the computer in question is a
Compaq Presario 2200.  Thanks.

Adam Kirchhoff