Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:32:31 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> >> That was my first thought.  Why is it unacceptable?  (I just don't
> >> know, and it may help me come up with a better idea.)
> >
> >Because as you can tell, the PCIC code is *NOT* ISA specific.  It's
> >ISA-like, but not ISA specific.  The code has no ISA code in it, except
> >to deal with ISA devices (if it does, it should be removed).
>
> Point made.
>
> I see a sysctl variable (I think) in the probe routine used to allow
> the suer to select the management irq.  How about adding one or more
> to select the IO ports for the controller?

This was my idea about a 'boot' config line.  The problems with this
solution is:

1) It assumes there is one PCIC controller.  (The existing code has the
   same problem)
2) It not 'boot-time' configurable.  It requires you to edit a file and
   then reboot the box before the change can take place.

However, it is a better solution than a kernel option, but I don't know
how to make it 'create' sysctl variables on the fly based on how many
PCIC controllers are seen.

Nate