Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:54:01 -0800
From:      "David Fuchs" <beastie@beastie.net>
To:        "Oren Sarig" <sarig@bezeqint.net.il>, "Martin Gignac" <martyg@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a difference between 'reboot' command and ctrl-alt-del?

Oh no... I hope you guys aren't all pressing ctrl-alt-delete because it's
faster!

When you do a ctrl-alt-delete, your drives aren't being unmounted properly.
The program fsck (File System Consistency Check) will find that the drives
weren't properly unmounted and therefore it will scan each partition of
every drive for errors.  It will then reboot your computer in order to
properly re-mount the drives.

I did a ctrl-alt-delete once and had to wait 20 minutes before my system was
functional again.  (tip:  not good for business)

Stick to reboot and you'll have less trouble in the future.

-David Fuchs