Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:45:00 -0500
From:      "Hyunseog Ryu" <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
To:        "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com>, "Kirk Strauser" <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Korea (was: Sendmail Spam RBL)

Hi, there

As an Korean, I apologize for inconvenience.
But I want to give some background for SPAM email from Korea.
Korea government is very strict for SPAM email.
Even they have a law to govern SPAM email, which should include some
specific text in subject,
so it can be used for filtering by somebody who doesn't want to see that at
all.
If they violate that law, they will go to jail or pay the fine.
But problem in practical manner is as same as here.
They have too many users with little knowledge of network operation.
Maybe more than 60% of population has Internet access from home, work, or on
the road.
More than half of house has Internet connection via cable modem or DSL.

Actually I have less SPAM email from Korea than from U.S. itself. ^.^
I live in Wisconson.

If you have a problem with SPAM, you can look up administrator's email from

  whois -h whois.krnic.net x.x.x.x                    ; x.x.x.x is IP
address of spammer
or
  visit http://www.nic.or.kr/www/english/  and use WHOIS DB service with IP
address.

That will give you information of actual administrator of that IP address
block.

If you send email to administrator of that IP address block,
you may receive the response from him/her.

But if you don't have response from him/her, you can use "traceroute" to
that IP address,
and find the IP address of their upgream provider from one before last hop.

So you can use same whois service for upstream provider, and send email to
them.

Some network administrator of SPAMMER's origin network may not be used to
use English at all.
But upstream provider's network engineer will take SPAMMER as serious issue.

If you don't get the response from them, you can either contact
www.certcc.or.kr for assistance.
CERT-CC is korean semi-government agency to handle all kinds of network
security issue.

South Korean is one of largest country which network user are growing too
fast.
But because Korean doesn't use English as a primary language, and American
doesn't use Korean
as a primary/secondary language, there is some misunderstanding regarding
SPAM handling, I believe.

NOG, which is Korean Network Operators Group, members are network operators
of major networks in Korean, and they have serious talking about SPAM
handling a couple of weeks ago.
They are trying to handle SPAM very seriously, and make some resolution to
prevent SPAMMING from script-kiddy and somebody else.

But if you have network access from everywhere and everybody, you will have
similar problem.
In Korea, people can get access to Internet from subway and top of the
mountain,
even from small islands and on the ocean. ^.^

As a citizen of the Internet work, we might need to have some patience to
deal with foreign country,
and cooperate to find reasonable resolution for the problem.

I will talk to Korea NOG people to find some resolution for this.
If you have any suggestion or idea to have something to have communication
channel regarding SPAMMER issue, please send email to me.

Thanks, guys

Hyun