Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 03:14:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        Teilhard Knight <teilhk@yifan.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pppoe

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> Hi. I am a very newbie to FreeBSD, and UNIX in general. I hope you do
> not mind me asking very simple questions. I suppose, that due to the
> three I have now, I can deal with them in a single post.
>
> First. How can I use my Ethernet card to configure an asdl connection? I
> have spent a good deal of time in KDE looking for some way and I simply
> do not find it.
>
> Second, my computer has a burner and a DVD, and the installation program
> spotted both all right, and I can mount them all right and everything is
> fine there. Problem is, the floppy is missing, nowhere to be found.

are you using FreeBSD-5.0 in an Intel motherboard?
can you send the brand and model of your floppy drive?

> And thirdly, can I use Linux packages in FreeBSD, and how do I install
> them?

What version of FreeBSD are you using?

you can use them.
you have to enable linux emulation.
install "linux_base" from the ports
or if you have the FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE disks:

	mount /cdrom
	cd /cdrom/packages/All
	pkg_add linux_base-7.1_2.tbz

and include a line saying:

	linux_enable="YES"

in your /etc/rc.conf file.

Some linux programs are  included in the ports,
v. gr.  netscape 4.8, you can install it  from the ports.

> I have no sound, but that seems to me a more elaborate question I will
> deal with separately.

you have to build a new kernel that can handle it.

read  the manual [/usr/share/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html]
to do this.

what sound card do you have?

must sound cards require only include

		device pcm

in your kernel configuration to handle them.

> Thanks to all those who can give a hand.
>

> Teilhard Knight
> The Extraterrestrial
>
> Who ate my sandwich?

I did not.