Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:32:08 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Shimon@i-Connect.Net
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2 fails to build

>  cd /usr/src
>  rm -rf *
>  cvs -t checkout -rRELENG_2_2 .
>  nohup make world > world.out 2>&1&
>
>I get:

>===> libregex/doc
>awk -f /usr/src/gnu/lib/libregex/doc/include.awk
>-vsource=/usr/src/gnu/lib/libregex/doc/../regex.h  <
>/usr/src/gnu/lib/libregex/doc/xregex.texi  | expand >regex.texi
>makeinfo --no-split -I /usr/src/gnu/lib/libregex/doc regex.texi -o
>regex.info
>regex.texi:2214: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.

>Questions:  Where is my mistake?

Probably expecting `make world' to work :-).  `make world' does an
incomplete bootstrap.  In this case, the problem may be that it attempts
to bootstrap the libraries early, but it needs to to bootstrap texinfo
earlier.  It does bootstrap texinfo early (after libraries).

>            how can I ``make world'', continuing from where it left off?

No way.  Normally it is unnecessary to run `make world' - just use `cd
/usr/src; make depend; make; su; make install; exit', but downgrading
to 2.2 is one case where `make world' is more likely to work.  I would
probably us a couple of passes of `make -k; su; make -k install; exit'.
The first pass would install makeinfo but fail to install info pages
and the second pass would install everything.  makeinfo is about the
only utility that needs to be downgraded.

Bruce