Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:30:21 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How many files in a directory is "a large number"?

I'm building a file archive, and I know that when you have a large
number of files in directory, that lookups get really slow.  I've only
ever heard people say "a large number."  No real qualification.  How
many files can one have before the slow downs become readily apparent?
Thousands?  Tens of thousands?  Millions?  I need to know in order to
set my archive with as few segmentations in the collections as possible
without running into excessively slow lookups.