Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:41:14 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw and bridging [was: pf and bridging]

Ian Smith wrote:
[ ... ]
> Read those ones for interest, but it leaves me wondering: can you use
> stateful filtering in ipfw, then?  (here ipfw1 on a 4.8-RELEASE box with
> BRIDGE in kernel so far, but I imagine this would apply also to ipfw2?)

Yes, you ought to be able to perform stateful packet filtering with either
ipfw1 or 2.

> I'm aware that one can only filter incoming packets, so I've always
> wondered whether stateful rules made any sense in a bridge context?

A firewall filters packets which pass through it (ie, either via routing,
bridging, or whatever the topology is).  Yes, you can do stateful filtering on
a bridge but you need to pay attention to the fact that you have both layer-2
and layer-3 traffic involved.  You also need to enable a sysctl to have IPFW
apply its rules to bridged traffic.

--
-Chuck