Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:48:39 -0700
From:      "G. Frank McCormick" <frank.mccormick@certification.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Acrobat Reader package fails

From the FreeBSD 4.1 CD-ROM, I installed <acroread-4.05> from the
packages collection.  When invoked from an xterm command line,
Acrobat Reader appears to come up normally.  I can open the
Reader's on-line user's manual, <reader.pdf>, which also appears
to display normally -- almost.

Hypertext links on each page are displayed as scrambled text.
Most, though not all, attempts to click on these links crash the
application, which then reports an error-code exit of 0x400e0009.

As an experiment, I fetched the Linux version of Acrobat Reader
from the Adobe web site, and installed it according to the
directions.  The results were identical.

Other Linux applications, including Sun's StarOffice 5.2, run
properly on my system.  I am running the 3.3.6 X server that came
with the 4.1 CD on a Matrox G400 card and a Nokia 21-inch monitor
at 1280x1024.  I have tried running <acroread-4.05> under two
window managers, KDE and WindowMaker, with the same results.

If anyone else has seen these symptoms and has a solution, I'd be
grateful.

Thank you,

Frank McCormick
<frank.mccormick@certification.com>