Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:25:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mtools eject CD? CD-R?

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@video2video.com> wrote:
 > Is it possible to eject a (mounted or unmounted) CD or DVD from the command
 > line?

Yes.  Depending on whether it's SCSI or IDE, you can use
camcontrol or cdcontrol.  (cdcontrol works for SCSI drives,
too, but only if the unit is ready, i.e. there is a CD in
the drive.  camcontrol always works.)

For convenience, I've writte a small shell script called
"eject".  Just type "eject" and it will eject whatever it
finds.

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/scripts/eject

 > Does a CD-R have to be specially mounted before using mkisofs or
 > burncd

No.  You can only mount filesystems.  An empty CD-R does
not contain a filesystem.  burncd (or cdrdao or cdrecord)
are used to put a filesystem on them.  It's like newfs
and filling the filesystem with data at the same time.

Regards
   Oliver