Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:29:08 +0200
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   remote debugging session

Hello,

I'm trying to establish a remote debugging session as described in
chapter 17.5 in the Developers' Handbook.

When enabling ttyd0 for getty in /etc/ttys I can establish a session
by minicom. Thus I can assume the serial cable should work.
I guess for a debugging session getty has to be off on ttyd0.

On the target host I pass to the debugger and then enter the `gdb'
command. I get the message: `Next trap will enter GDB remote
protocol mode' as described.
Thereafter the prompt db> appears again.

But on the remote host when entering `target remote /dev/cuaa0'
I get:

(kgdb) target remote /dev/cuaa0
Remote debugging using /dev/cuaa0
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, timeout

The speed is 9600 baud on both ends.

What else could be the cause?

-Hanspeter