Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 15:14:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Clark <jc@netview.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ready for 2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5-RELEASE (best way?)

Hello again fellow FreeBSD-ers...

The following is from the INSTALL.TXT file of the 2.1.5-RELEASE:

What this upgrade will attempt to do is best summarized thusly:

  1.  fsck and mount all file systems chosen in the label editor.
  2.  Ask for a location to preserve your /etc directory into and do so.
  3.  Extract all selected distributions on top of your existing system.
  4.  Copy certain obvious files back from the preserved /etc, leaving the
      rest of the /etc file merge up to the user.
  5.  Drop user in a shell so that they may perform that merge before
      rebooting into the new system.

It would seem to me the best way to do this would be to fetch the entire
/usr/src subdir and 'make world' -- like I did when I went 2.1-RELEASE ->
2.1-STABLE.  Anyone else try this / see a problem?  Where do I find the
/usr/src?

Thanks again,

John Clark
[jc@netview.net]