Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:17:30 -0800
From:      Rob <europax@home.com>
To:        kris@grinz.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MAIL, but not mail server software issue (very  odd-please help)

kris@grinz.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, please reply directly to me, as I am not subscribed to the
> list.  My email is kris@grinz.com .
>
> I was running 4.1R and CVSUP'd my ports and the OS to 4.2STABLE.
>
> I dont know if the upgrade to 4.2 caused the prob or something else..
> anyway, here is "the deal".  I was running qmail and it worked fine until
> the upgrade via cvsup to 4.2stable.   I thought the prob was qmail so I
> switched to Postfix.  The guy that set it up for me is Freebsd/postfix
> guru so I know its set up right.  Anyway, The actual problem is that, as
> any user on the command line, type "mail [user]" to email yourself,
> well, the message doesn't go anywhere... nothing added to
> /var/log/maillog, nothing in the postfix queue, nothing anywhere.
>
>  Incoming mail is fine so my POP users are not affected, since they do
> not use this box as their SMTP server.  When mail comes in, it gets
> logged in /var/log/maillog and shows postfix/smtpd, postfix/cleanup,
> and then postfix/qmgr, and finally postfix/local.. so I know postfix isn't
> the problem  - - so it must be a local config problem within the box/OS
> itself.
>
> So far, the only suggestion was for me to change
> /etc/sshd/sshd_config to UseLogin yes, which someone else said that
> fixed the same problem for them.  Unfortunately, that change didn't fix
> my problem.
>
> Sorry I have not included any more information.  I do not know how to
> troubleshoot this problem and do not know what info I need to send
> this mailing list in order to help you help me.  Though I'm not really a
> newbie in the unix world, I guess I am still sort of a FreeBSD newbie.
>
> Let me know what info would be helpful and I will provide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kris

Hi Kris.  I posted that note about SSH config.  Well it turns out that I
am now getting my mail with the original SSH settings.  Something
automagical happened but I don't know what.  For me, Qmail was trying to
deliver my mail via defaultdelivery, but it would discard it after a
triple  bounce as it couldn't find my home directory.  So I'm still
investigating this.   Rob.