Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:45:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Burris <scott@cns.ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2-BETA hangs after a few minutes

I've updated several of my FreeBSD systems at home with 2.2-BETA.  One,
a generic Triton chipset motherboard works just fine.  The other, a
Pentium system with the Opti chipset which connects the PCI bus to the
VLB (instead of the other way around :-() now hangs solid after being up
for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes.  No panics, no nothing, the
system just appears to be completely dead.  I compiled a new kernel with
the debugger, but when the system hangs, I can't force it into the
debugger.  This system used to run the August 2.2 SNAP without problems
and I have reverted back to that kernel.

I'm happy to look into this further, but can anyone make a suggestion
about how to debug a system that doesn't even panic?

Scott

Scott Burris
UCLA Campus Telecomunications and Network Services
scott@cns.ucla.edu