Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 03:42:57 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adding second NIC to FreeBSD

> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:52:48 -0700
> From: "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
>
> I'm editing my kernel configuration file and want to add a second
> NIC. Both NICs are GeniusLAN NE2000 compatible 10BaseT NICs. The
> first one has worked fine with the ed driver. My question is this-
>
> In the kernel configuration file, there is a line like so:
>
> device		ed0	at isa? port 0x280 irq 5 iomem 0xd8000
>
> I assume that if I want to add a second one, I should add the
> following:
>
> device		ed1 at isa? port 0x260 irq 12 iomem 0xd8000
>
> (the IRQ and port are set on the new card.)

Bear in mind that IRQ 12 is the default IRQ for a PS/2 mouse, so if
you have one of those you should probably pick a different IRQ.

Here is a list of IRQs and their default assignments:

IRQ 1	-	[used by system]
IRQ 2	-	Cascade Interrupt - see IRQ 9
IRQ 3	-	Serial 2/COM2
IRQ 4	-	Serial 1/COM1
IRQ 5	-	open/expansion card
IRQ 6	-	floppy controller
IRQ 7	-	Parallel port
IRQ 8	-	[used by system]
IRQ 9	-	Cascade from IRQ 2, often usable
IRQ 10	-	open/expansion card
IRQ 11	-	open/expansion card
IRQ 12	-	PS/2 mouse
IRQ 13	-	[used by system]
IRQ 14	-	IDE port 1
IRQ 15	-	IDE port 2

If you're short IRQ's but have serial or parallel ports you don't
need, you can often disable those and use their IRQ. (unless you have
one of those motherboards that doesn't fully disable something when
you turn it off in the BIOS)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium