Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:49:35 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Subject:   Re: Resuming from a crashdump

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:37:34PM -0600, Ryan Sommers wrote:
> My little knowledge on this subject aside. I'd love to have full
> suspend/resume functionality. It'd make my life as a mobile freebsd user
> much much easier. However, I wouldn't want it at the expense of every
> kernel. It would need to be something completely modular.

I think what we're also looking at is aborting any pending bus-mastering
transactions. This could probably be done as a part of the newbus
suspend/resume routines for bus and device drivers, but it also means
that the other entry points need to be able to deal with the carpet
being dragged out from under them like this.

In the case of a networking driver, particularly Ethernet, things are
somewhat easier, and the more help you get from the hardware the better;
but some cards like those based around ATM SARS just plain aren't designed
to deal with the carpet being dragged out - they expect to keep rolling
through their descriptor rings, segmenting and transmitting what they see.

If we could take a clean subsystem-by-subsystem approach to marshaling
kernel state to disk, that would be good. What gives me particular pain
here is dealing with things like the filesystem. How does one deal with
open files, etc, with pending I/O?

Just my 2c,
BMS