Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:09:42 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        "Kimuli Abella" <kabella@home.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba's looking for libreadfile

At 8:19 AM -0400 10/14/00, Kimuli Abella wrote:
>    I'm trying to install Samba on FreeBSD  3.4.

I have 3.4, but I have no need for Samba.  Anyway ...

>I downloaded samba-2.07.tgz from ftp.freebsd.org and pkg_add 'ed it.
>I copied  smb.conf.default to smb.conf.
>When running testparm I get error messages  saying it's looking for
>libreadfile.so.4.  I've libreadfile.so.3 on my  system.
>Reading through the archives, I'm lead to believe libreadfile is  either
>part of linux_base or something called compat22.
>
>Could someone  please tell me what libreadfile belongs to & which port or
>package I have to upgrade?

If you go into stand/sysinstall you will find an option to install
compat22.  I don't think it's either a port or a package, and I don't know
of a more elegant way to install it.  I thought it was for for
compatibility with older FreeBSD software, not Linux, but I could be wrong.

I have all the compat's and the Linux compatibility (ELF) installed but typing

find / -name "libreadfile.so.4"

found nothing on my system.  Perhaps there is an older version of Samba
that will work with the compatibility libraries you already have.