Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:06:44 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Ivan Klymenko <fidaj@ukr.net>, emorras@xroff.net, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, GPGPU and OpenCL/CUDA

On Monday 16 August 2010 23:00:52 Hartmann, O. wrote:
>   On 08/16/10 21:13, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> >>
> >> how is this different from getting e.g. native Flash or Matlab on FBSD?
> >> We've been trying to "raise awareness" for years..
> >
> > So did we for the nvidia driver on amd64.
> >
> > I'm not saying that we will be successful, I'm just saying if they're not
> > even aware of this need that it will never happen.
> >
> > - Pieter
>
> I think they are aware, but the number of users is very, very low. Since
> modern 3D accerlerated and GPGPU capable drivers are developed
> dominantly under Linux, BSDs lack in modern
> architectures like KMS necessary running those modern drivers, so in
> case of the 64Bit video drivers it could be more a lack in the
> underlying technical infrastructure than the low number of users. But I
> do not know.
>
> Oliver

The amd64 driver was an illustration of something where raising awareness or
whatever you might call it actually helped IMHO.

Unfortunately this is a chicken-and-egg problem. No HPC users means no demand
means no incentive to do something about it means no HPC users ad infinitum.
But I'm sure you're already knew that.

- Pieter