Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:34:36 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT? (was: Re: NTP security hole CVE-2013-5211?)

In message <20140321122701.AC6D411A9DE6@rock.dv.isc.org>,
Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> wrote:

>In message <45158.1395348066@server1.tristatelogic.com>, "Ronald F. Guilmette"
>writes:
>> I'm no expert, but I'll go out on a limb here anyway and say that the choice
>> to make NTP outbound queries always use source port 123 is, as far as I can
>> see, really really ill-advised.  Did we learn nothing from all of the bruhaha
>> a couple of years ago about DNS amplification attacks and the ways that
>> were finally settled on to effectively thwart them (most specifically the
>> randomization of query source ports)?
>
>Well for DNS the source port randomisation was to prevent cache
>poisoning so no *you* didn't learn anything from port randomisation
>in DNS.

OK.  You're right.  I stand corrected and retract my earlier ill-considered
comment.

>For time you want to reduce the variabilty in code paths taken as
>much as posible so no you don't want to be opening up a new socket
>every time.

Perhaps you and I could debate this specific argument at greater length
off-list.  For the moment I'll just say that, for me at least, it doesn't
seem like a terribly compelling argument.  (Obviously, and as I'm sure you
well know, BIND has made this work for some time now, and doesn't seem
particularly the worse for it.)

>Now if you are not running as a server or peer you can
>use a different port but that prevents local tools reaching ntpd
>to find out how ntpd is doing.

There is no other way via which local tools could communicate with a local
ntpd??

I may be mis-remembering, but isn't there a sort-of (entirely separate)
control port for BIND that is implemented via a local UNIX domain socket?

>NTP does have the ability to work out which commands it will accept
>and from whom.  This stops NTP being used as a amplifier.  The built
>in configuration has already been changed to make this the default
>behaviour.

OK, please bear with me...I just want to verify...

I have just added the following single line to the end of my /etc/ntp.conf
file:

   disable monitor

That's all there is to it?

>You can run a stateless firewall with on a NTP client and it is no
>longer a reflector which can be directed at any ip address in the
>world if you care to.

Could you elaborate please?

I -believe- that I understand what you just said, but I'd like to be 100%
sure that I did.

Regards,
rfg