Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:42:50 +0800
From:      Gregory Orange <gregory.orange@calorieking.com>
To:        Morhold <freebsd-security@morhold.ru>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update.conf IgnorePaths linker.hints not working

On 18/06/14 06:37, Morhold wrote:
> Same here with 9.1-RELEASE-p14:

Since I've had no further instruction or advice here (or on -questions),
I've solved it myself for now.

> So I just did like this:
>    - copied /usr/sbin/freebsd-update to /usr/sbin/freebsd-update,my
>    - applied to /usr/sbin/freebsd-update,my the following patch:

I'm doing something similar, the difference being I'm introducing a
simple script rather than patching a file which might be changed in an
update:

$ sudo crontab -l
0 3 * * * /usr/local/scripts/freebsd-update-cron

$ cat freebsd-update-cron
#!/bin/sh
mv /boot/kernel/linker.hints /boot/kernel/linker.hints.bk
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update cron
mv /boot/kernel/linker.hints.bk /boot/kernel/linker.hints