Date:      Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:26:04 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using a hard drive without partitions

What are the ramifications, good or bad, of not using partitions on a
FreeBSD disk?.... What is wrong with just a slice?

Drive:
  Dangerously dedicated
  /dev/da0s1
  newfs -O2 -U

I don't see the point of labeling the disk into partitions, but I
can't find any info on why not to do this. I did managed to setup a
test drive this way and then grow it (RAID 5 array) with OCE, resize
it with fdisk, then make it bigger with bsdlabel, and finally use
growfs to extend the filesystem by 10GB. I had no problems doing it
like this but everything I've read tells me to partition the disk.