Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:11:34 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD vs Linux For Managers...

A coworker and I are planning on replacing about 20 LynxOS lab workstations
with FreeBSD. We originally chose LynxOS because that's what our embedded
products use. But its getting too expensive to support it on workstation, and
they're difficult to maintain.

I stepped up to the plate and set up a prototype workstation with FreeBSD,
with an identical look-and-feel to the other workstations (mwm, development
scripts, etc), and created a step-by-step guide to installation and
configuration.

The sole purpose of these workstations is to connect to our embedded products
via cu.

We are all set to go to roll out FreeBSD to the other lab workstations. But
some Linux advocate in the company is starting to raise a stink (even though
he is unwilling to help in the conversion and subsequent maintenance). Now
the manager in charge of the machines wants a report on why FreeBSD was
chosen instead of Linux. Sigh.

So what good reasons translated into Manager-ese can I present?

Thanks,

David Johnson