Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:58:39 -0500
From:      Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anti-aliased fonts and XFree86 4.0.2, generally.

Hi folks,

I just had a couple of questions regarding XFree86 4.0.2:

1. At this point, is it worth the upgrade from 3.3.whatever that comes
standard wtih 4.2-RELEASE? What are the benefits of upgrading?

2. I really, really would like anti-aliased fonts :-) I'm a bit of an
aesthetic nut and I think that'd really improve the overall X Windows
experience, if yanno what I mean :-)

But, I'm unsure from everything I've read about the XFree86 4.02
rendering engine whether or not *all TT fonts* are *always* antialiased
or just fonts in certain "AA enabled" applications (if that makes any
sense)...

Thanks in advance,

Erik.