Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 01:52:42 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Personal Unix Source Code License

Hi!  I'm hoping some of the Personal Unix Source Code Licensees are on
this list.  If not, then maybe more of you should buy one. :-)

Check out http://www.sco.com/offers/ancient_unix.html if none of this
makes any sense.  Then try http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/index.html to
find out why I want the license.

I just wanted to get a few opinions before I signed anything.

Is anybody worried about "taint"?  Back when USL was out to squash BSD,
AT&T claimed that just seeing the code infected your mind with their
intellectual property, and they wanted to put your brain in quarantine!
The long and boring SCO agreement seems pretty tame, but I don't read
these things often and might have missed something.

I've had a few giggles over how I would reply if SCO ever exercised their
right to know the "location, type and serial number of the DESIGNATED CPU".
And the perpetually renewing 1 year agreements seem odd but harmless,
unless SCO get bought out, I suppose.

So, the real worry is that getting the Official (but Ancient) Unix Source
might in some way inhibit my ability to engage in current day free Unix-like
software development.

Is it just the stuff they put in my water, or is there a valid reason for
concern?

Stephen.