Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:15:52 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        derrich <derrich@freebsdhackers.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck'ing UFS partitons under linux?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:18, derrich wrote:
> I'm trying to fsck a UFS (created under FreeBSD 4.8) partition from wit=
hin
> a Linux system, and I'm having a whole lot of trouble. I know UFS suppo=
rt
> is enabled in the kernel, because I'm able to mount the drive read-only=
=2E I
> believe I've been unable to mount it read-write because the drive needs=
> be fsck'ed, but I can't figure out how to do this under linux.
>
> I've tried running 'fsck -t ufs /dev/hda2', but I get an error about
> /sbin/fsck.ufs not existing ... and googling 'fsck.ufs' turns up very
> little, and what little it turns up isn't all in English, which doesn't
> really help me.

=46rom this I would gather linux does not have an fsck variant able to de=
al with
an ufs file system (and I don't think I'd want to trust it if it did). If=
 the=20
partition is imperfect then clean it up under FreeBSD.

Surely this is a question for linux -- not FreeBSD.

I, and guess many other subscribers to this mailing list, would have no i=
dea
how linux names and manages bsd style partitions within slices which I be=
lieve
is exotic in linux.

Malcolm Kay