Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 07:27:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@ism.net>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Error: C:1024>1023 (BIOS limit)"

On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Bill Fenner wrote:

> I just repartitioned my drive on my machine at home, so decided the easiest
> way to deal was to install from my 2.1 CD and then sup the CVS tree and
> check out stable and build a new kernel and then start life over from scratch.
>
> I built my new kernel, did a "make install", and then rebooted.  However,
> while trying to the symbols, the loader said: "Error: C:1024>1023 (BIOS limit)".
>
> This is kind of an unexpected message, since not only does "fdisk" say only
> 1023 cylinders, "disklabel" says that the a partition is cylinders 0-34.

Hmmm...that is odd! I noticed that your problem is already solved, but
do you by any chance have an Award BIOS?  I had the same problem when I
first installed 2.1, but the solution turned out to to be turning LBA
mode on in the BIOS.
--

John-David Childs             www.marsweb.com/www.ism.net
System Administrator          Internet Services Montana (406)542-0838