Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:51:06 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is compatibility for old aout binaries broken?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 02:58:16AM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> >The other day, on a whim, I decided to try running an old binary
> >of SimCity (the same one found in the 'commerce' directory on
> >many FBSD cds), and it failed in a odd way...

Does anyone have any old a.out binaries other than SimCity that they have
problems with?  I've installed the SimCity package, compat20 and compat21
dists, but cannot get it to run:

    Starting SimCity ...
    SimCity Classic - UNIX / Tcl & Tk Toolkit version 3.6b - Mattes
    Adding a player on dragon:0.0 ...
    Display Visual = truecolor
    Display Depth = 24
    SimCity can't find an 8 bit color or 1 bit monochrome display on
    "dragon:0.0".
    SimCity: error in TCL code: bad window path name ".head0"

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX