Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 15:47:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dutchman@spase.nl, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Glitch in install procedure.

>> I just installed FreeBSD as a secondary OS on a machine. I dumped it into the
>> upper 300 Mb of a 810 Mb disk. Funny thing is that neither the installation
>> procedure, nor booteasy issued a warning that it would not be possible to
>> actually boot from the partition, as it is beyond the reach of the BIOS.

>That's because it couldn't ask BIOS to tell it what was good.

Actually, it's because it couldn't ask ufs for where the blocks in /kernel
are.  It knows what the BIOS geometry is supposed to be since it just
created a partition table that usually won't work unless you told it the
BIOS geometry.

>Silly FreeBSD, trusted you to know what you were doing.  8-).

It's a feature that you can write /kernel on a file system whose partition
has BIOS cylinders >= 1024.  Silly BSD allows writing to such file systems
:-).  (Except possibly at install time, there is nothing special about
/kernel.).

Bruce