Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:32:20 -0600
From:      Joe Guetler <joe@axiomadvertising.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp slow to connect

Steve Price wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:33:43PM -0600, I wrote:
> >
> > BTW, how would I go about fixing the clients?  I try it from my
> > box at home or one at work that I know does reverse DNS correctly
> > and I still get the same thing.
>
> Urk, I take that back.  I just did it from yet another box at work
> and it logged in almost immediately.  This also happens to be the
> box hosting DNS for the domain it is in and I setup DNS so I know
> reverses work.

    I know this is going to sound stupid, but I had a similar experience
and I thought I would try and shed a new light on this.  If I don't
please feel free to tell me to piss off and mind my own business.

    I was wondering where you had the ftpd box's resolver pointing and
if you tried pointing it to your DNS box in your domain.
The reason being is I have a small fbsd box set up for our office that
is our DNS, Mail, and pop3 server.  I was doing a bit of goofing around
one day and decided to take out the references to the reverse-lookup in
named.conf because we only have a small subnet from our dsl provider and
they handle the reverse lookups for the larger subnet.  Anyway, every
computer in the office is pointed to use the fbsd box as the DNS
server.  As soon as I took that out, it took every computer in the
office about 30 seconds or so to contact the pop3 (which was running out
of inetd).  When I put the reverse-lookup table back in it worked like a
charm again.
    Now I could be waaaaay off on this, but could it be that the box you
are trying to run the ftp server on is pointing to a bad dns server with
bad or no reverse-lookup tables?

Again, I don't claim to be very knowledgeable in these subjects, but
this just struck me as somewhat similar to what happened to me

Joe Guetler
Axiom Advertising