Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 02:02:00 -0500
From:      greeves <sysadmin@greeves.mfn.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Diskless Oddities

Hi again...

	As you all know, I am pretty deep into diskless machines right now,
and I have noticed some really *strange* things: (these things ONLY happen
on diskless stations or their hosts)...

(1) I have a host, "A".  "A" is supporting a single diskless, "B".  The diskless
boots, and then mounts /usr, /bin, /sbin and /usr/local from "A".  Prior to
supporting a diskless, "A" was running _flawlessly_.  Now the client, "B",
runs flawlessly, and "A" refuses to run rwhod.  Not that it complains, it
just won't do it.  If you enter the cammand manually, it says nothing, and
*logs* nothing, but it also doesnt run rwhod!

(2) I have another host, "C", it is supporting clients "E" through "V".  "C"
runs flawlessly, as it always has.  But clients E-V won't run inetd.  Do we
see a pattern here?  At first you might think so, but then remember that
"A" is a _host_, and E-V are _clients_...

All these guys are on the same wire...

Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

P.S.: Doug:  Thanks for your offer, I'll take you up on it as soon as I can
forward you the info (the filter is just a 5 or so line c program which spits
out whatever comes in, appending cr's as appropriate; the printcap is nothing
special, but I'll forward it anyway.  Thanks!!!