Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:23:45 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        Rolf Edwards <redwards@meccamediagroup.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: My Experience With FreeBSD

Cool!
I've got quite some good experience with Dell and their delivery as well.
The weird things was though that the first machine ever placed in order with
them took almost a month. Everything after that has been delivered within a
week! Believe it or not.

I got the sales rep kinda confused on the phone when I told him I didn't want
all the free software and I didn't want the operating system. <grin> I also
told them that they seriously should look into preinstall of FreeBSD as well.
To bad so many people still thing it is a brach of Linux...

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

Rolf Edwards wrote:

> Just ordered a Dell PowerEdge 4300 server tricked out to the max...  The
> web site will allow you to choose an OS, or none.  They didn't even flinch
> when I said I didn't want one.  They offer Netware, NT4, Win2K, Linux, and
> they default to NONE!!!  They even let you delete keyboard, mouse and even
> documentation...  They are extremely flexible over the phone.
>
> This is in no way an add for them, but I was trying to spend $25G on a
> server, and IBM would take 6 weeks to build, Dell said they could have it
> in 2-4+4.  Plus we have tripled the disk capacity for the same
> price.  Strange eh?  In any case the machine was built and shipped in two
> days...now just waiting for delivery of my new easy bake oven.
>
> RE
>
> >Yeah gateway wasn't one of them as far as I saw.  Dell, Compaq and HP all
> >have Linux sections on their website and say they will sell you a computer
> >with it on it.  HP's was very dissapointing as they say it but don't say
> >what models they offer it with and the link to buy them was broken.
> >None of them had any information on FreeBSD that I saw.  If we would like
> >that to be an option in the future we should all search for freebsd on
> >all these websites search sections (they log that) and even email them to
> >ask to include freebsd computers.

Jan Knepper
Smartsoft, LLC
88 Petersburg Road