Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:08:02 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weirdness with DNS

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:41:33PM -0400, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> : The UUnet name server show them being the origin of the domain.  Are
> : you sure they are not doing anything strange with your zone
> : definitions ?  It sure seems they have a wild card entry
>
> Yes, they do run DNS for the zone, though they promise me they don't have
> a wildcard entry for the domain, and since this does not appear from any
> other machines that query against them, I'm tempted to believe them.

They flat out _must_ have a wildcard MX entry, which causes an empty
response with NOERROR set for an A record query:

gregw@frodo:~$ dnsqr mx asdf.lucida.ca
15 asdf.lucida.ca:
59 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 15 asdf.lucida.ca
answer: asdf.lucida.ca 86400 MX 20 mail.uunet.ca
gregw@frodo:~$ dnsqr mx frammistraz.lucida.ca
15 frammistraz.lucida.ca:
66 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 15 frammistraz.lucida.ca
answer: frammistraz.lucida.ca 86400 MX 20 mail.uunet.ca
gregw@frodo:~$ dnsqr mx flooglethorp.lucida.ca
15 flooglethorp.lucida.ca:
67 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 15 flooglethorp.lucida.ca
answer: flooglethorp.lucida.ca 86400 MX 20 mail.uunet.ca
gregw@frodo:~$ dnsqr a afgsadr.lucida.ca
1 afgsadr.lucida.ca:
35 bytes, 1+0+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 1 afgsadr.lucida.ca
gregw@frodo:~$ dnsqr any afgsadr.lucida.ca
255 afgsadr.lucida.ca:
62 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 255 afgsadr.lucida.ca
answer: afgsadr.lucida.ca 86400 MX 20 mail.uunet.ca

This looks like expected behaviour from most DNS client libraries, with
those search domain settings and a wildcard MX.
(A server cannot answer NXDOMAIN for a host that has _any_ records
defined -- including wildcard MX).

P.S. I take this all back if you have hosts named 'asdf', 'frammistraz'
and 'flooglethorp'. ;)

--
Greg White