Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 20:03:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt848: no IRQ

On 18 Apr, Randall Hopper wrote:
> I just pulled the latest driver source from pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/...:
>
>    -rw-r--r--  1 root  ftp-Free   17180 Apr  5 15:21 brktree_reg.h
>    -rw-r--r--  1 root  ftp-Free  127734 Apr 18 03:18 brooktree848.c
>    -rw-r--r--  1 root  ftp-Free  7345 Feb 26 03:14 ioctl_bt848.h
>
> and gave it a whirl.  Signals work fine here (i.e. fxtv -disableDirectV)
> with that version.

I tried sources from January 1, 1998 and October 7th, 1997 -- both
acted the same as the latest -current sources: no video, no irq 12
visible in vmstat -i.

> Shot in the dark.  Verify that no device on your ISA bus is using the IRQ
> being assigned to your Hauppauge card.  Other PCI devices sharing the IRQ
> should be OK though.  For example, in my system, my SCSI ctlr and Hauppauge
> share an IRQ:
>
>    ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x02 int a irq 9 on pci0.10.0
>    bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0

Nothing else is using IRQ 12, and the BIOS is configured to assign IRQ
12 to a PCI device.  But let's suppose there was a hardware conflict
(i.e. something else is using 12, but I don't have my kernel configured
to use such a device).  Wouldn't the fact that the device is identified
as being on irq 12 mean that vmstat -i would report the presence of irq
12?

You've given me another idea though -- I'll juggle the PCI interrupts
so that the BIOS assigns a different IRQ to the BT848.  Maybe it'll
start working if it uses another IRQ line.

I have forgotten to mention one other possibly critical aspect of my
kernel: SMP.  I'll give a UP kernel a try to see if that makes a
difference.

If you come up with any more ideas, no matter how far out, I'm all ears!
Thanks.

Alex