Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:33 -0600
From:      "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   compiling sendmail to 8.13.6

Ok, I just cvsup'd and it did not pull down the sources for sendmail 8.13.6
( I might still have misunderstanding of what exactly cvsup does).  Anyway,
I took matters into my own hands, and I was wondering if my procedure would
be considered acceptable by my peers.  So, this is what I did:

1)       pulled down sendmail.8.13.6.tar.gz from sendmail.org.

2)       read FREEBSD-upgrade doc from /usr/src/contrib/sendmail, and found
this info

For the import of sendmail, the following files were removed:

        Build

        cf/cf/Build

        cf/cf/generic-*.cf

        devtools/*

        doc/op/op.ps

        */Build

        [e-v]*/*.0

        sendmail/makesendmail

        sendmail/sysexits.h

The following directories were renamed:

        sendmail -> src

3)       untared sendmail.8.13.6.tar.gz, and made the exact same changes to
files/folders listed above.  Rename source folder to just 'sendmail'

4)       remove /usr/src/contrib/sendmail.  Replace with my new sendmail
directory that I just downloaded and edited

5)       re-compile sendmail as most all howtos dictate:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libsm

# make obj && make depend && make

# cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil

# make obj && make depend && make

# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/

# make obj && make depend && make && make install

      6) cd /etc/mail/  do a make all install restart

      7) reboot.

When the system came back up, the sendmail banner tells me its running
8.13.6/8.13.4.  would this mean im upgraded to the latest and am now without
a shadow of a doubt secure against this latest sendmail threat?  Would that
have been an acceptable way to upgrade a production server (and should I do
it again, this time on my production sendmail server)?

Thanks for reading!

jonathan