Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:12:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Testudine <crosroad@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help w/ Adaptec 2940UW and SCSI disk geometry

Hello, I've having some trouble installing FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE on a
Pentium with an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller and a Seagate Barracuda 4XL
ST32272W 2.1 SCSI hard disk.  The problem is with the disk geometry.  The
geometry for the drive should be 6311/4/175 (according to
www.seagate.com).  However, when I'm installing and get to the part where
I'm to partition the drive, FreeBSD gives me a Warning: invalid geometry.
FreeBSD detects a 6313/4/175 geometry and says it is using a "more
likely geometry, which is something like 240/240/175 and proceeds with
the install.  However, this geometry doesn't seem to work as I get
page faults and the system crashes.  I've tried to use the (G) command to
reset the geometry to 6311/4/175, but the install program says that is
incorrect also.

I'm curious, when the install program "detects" the geometry, is it
getting it right from the hard disk or from the SCSI controller BIOS?
I've played around with some of the options concerning disk geometry in
the SCSI controller BIOS and FreeBSD still says the geometry is
6313/4/175. And yes, I have set the CMOS BIOS to have "none" hard disks.

What do I have to do to get this to work?  Is the disk defective?  Both
the disk and controller are still under warrenty against defects, so
sending either one back for replacement is not a problem.  :)  I was
looking at the (A) option for partitioning the whole disk for FreeBSD.
Would that eliminate the page faults?  The machine is to be a server, so I
plan to only have FreeBSD on it.  Any assistance on this would be greatly
appreciated.

					Thanks in advance,
					   Joe