Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:34:20 +1000
From:      "Sarton O'Brien" <sarton@smart.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OpenSSL included in base

Hello,

I recently installed:

FreeBSD mx.melb 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Thu Jul 12 12:31:05 EST
2001     root@mx.melb:/usr/src/sys/compile/MXMELB  i386

I knew OpenSSL was included in the base and thought it was just a matter of

make world MAKE_IDEA=yes

to obtain the full functionality. I've had to do that before so I could use
OpenSSH, make world that is, and I just assumed OpenSSL would be the same.

Anyway, it didn't help, so I tried to install all the components from the
/usr/src/crypto/openssl directory. I got errors relating to files that were
non-existent, the files were:

dso_win32*
dso_vms*

I edited the corresponding Makefiles to bypass this problem but should I
compile with these files included? I found little information on dso and
really only wanted OpenSSL for the pkcs12 binary, I am interested as to why
these files are called upon but don't exist though.

Thanks for any information :)

Sarton (please CC, not on list)