Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:35:56 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Martino <chrismar@peanut.readington.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crt0.o?

On Saturday, 12 December 1998 at 20:42:22 -0500, Chris Martino wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Yesterday I was mucking around and I just happened to remove ~/bin (doh!),
> which contained serveral usefull applications.
>
> In an effort to get them back I've untarred the sources and compiled most
> of them back.  I seem to be having the same problem re-compiling wmppp and
> wmmon, allthough they both compiled fine the first time around.
>
> They are both failing w/ the same error listed below:
> [chrismar@crazy ~/packages/wmmon.app/wmmon ] % make
> cc -o wmmon  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXext -lX11
> /usr/lib/crt0.o: Undefined symbol `_main' referenced from text segment
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Or, if you by chance happen to have
> these built already and wouldn't mind sending me the binaries, I would
> appreciate that as well.. :-)

crt0.o is the a.out version of the C startup code.  It does a few odds
and ends and then calls your main() function.  In this case, the
linker (not crt0.o) couldn't find the main function.  If the line you
show above is complete, that's not surprising:

  cc -o wmmon  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXext -lX11

This says ``create an executable file wmmon, and search the libraries
Xpm, Xext and X11''.  It doesn't specify any input files.

It's not really clear what you're doing here.  If this is a port
(sysutils/wmmon?), you need probably to go back to the beginning and
start again.

Greg