Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 10:26:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small MAKEDEV bug

On Mon, 08 May 2000 18:56:03 -0400, "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" wrote:

> Now it's a question of "the UNIX way" vs. convenience/userfriendlyness
> :-)

I don't agree.  I think this is an issue of avoiding changes that
unnecessarily astonish existing users.  If you can find ways to improve
MAKEDEV that don't inconvenience those already familiar with it, great.
If your improvements astonish these people, you need to put a bit more
thought into what you're actually scoring.

Lately, we're seeing a lot of vanity changes; this is a trend that can
only end in tears.

Ciao,
Sheldon.