Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:55:18 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Install - Partitions

Greetings!

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Dave Raven wrote:

> Hello all,
>     Just a quick question that I cant seem to find an answer to.
>     I have a 4.5 install ISO, and I boot up of it and get ready
>     to install. However, when I go to partition the drive,
>     I am unable to create more than 4 slices, as after the 4th
>     slice (ad0s4) they start to be labelled as X (instead of say
>     ad0s5). Then when I goto install, I get an error about
>     /dev/X not existing....
PC HDD architecture is not supposed to support more than 4 primary
partitions (regarding to shown devicenames, this is primary
partitions). And why You need this. FreeBSD need only one partition in
DOS partition table. Within You can create so many 'slices' (in fact,
FreeBSD partitions), as You want.

>     Its clearly not assigning labels to the later patitions, but why
>     is this? Am I missing something or can it simply not be done?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Raven.

Hope this help, with respect,

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua