Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:19:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, pwd@apple.com
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

>Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:19:22 -0700
>From: Pat Dirks <pwd@apple.com>

>[Lots of interesting, useful stuff elided -- dhw]

>ADOPTING "FOREIGN" FILESYSTEMS

>Note that one interesting option might be to provide a one-time-only
>"adoption" which has no permanent effect; when the disk is encountered
>later it is once again "foreign".  This might make sense for security
>reasons (if you don't want this disk to become a possible future carrier
>for SetUID binaries)

Actually, I would expect that from a security/integrity perspective, one
would want the default to be that a re-introduced disk would be considered
"foreign".

This might seem unfriendly to some, but unless you really know where the
medium has been, there's no basis for trusting its content any more than
any other random (but otherwise equivalent) medium.

A mechanism for overriding this presumption could be useful, if used in
sufficient moderation.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915